Can You Take Thyroid Medicine With CBD Oil “Can I vape cbd or take less amount of cbd oil so it does not inteferes with my medicine because of the P450 enzyme?” Yes, you can vape CBD oil. Can you take CBD and levothyroxine together? Let’s talk about the CBD-drug interactions with your endocrine system. Can You Take CBD Oil With Levothyroxine? Drug interaction is defined as the changes in a drug’s effects due to recent or concurrent use of another drug or drugs (drug-drug interactions),
Can You Take Thyroid Medicine With CBD Oil
“Can I vape cbd or take less amount of cbd oil so it does not inteferes with my medicine because of the P450 enzyme?”
Yes, you can vape CBD oil.
Does vaping get processed through the liver also?
The interaction of cannabinoids and levothyroxine competing for metabolism in the cytochrome p450 pathway would most likely be a hyPERthyroid state, as more thyroxine would accumulate before breakdown. It may be that ingesting a CBD oil or similar preparation is impairing the absorption of the thyroid medicine from the GI tract, which could cause you to become hypothyroid by just not absorbing enough. Vaping CBD is an excellent way to take it, and would have the same metabolic consequences as ingesting it but eliminates problems from non-absorption. By the way, although cytochrome enzyme metabolism is relevant in cannabis, the difference between real world clinical effects and laboratory effects is more relevant. There is little or no clinical data re: significant effects on blood levels of common medications in ambulatory patients. I suspect unless extremes of dosage or other conditions are happening the competition for metabolic breakdown between cannabis and those medications is of marginal significance for most patients.
I use Armour Thyroid and I smoke a CBD oil, ratio: 55% CBD, 15% THC and 1% CBN. I use it often for my arthritis pain and heart palpatations. I have had to cut my thyroid med by half as my TSH was .5. I hope my next blood test will show it at around 1.5. You shouldn’t go Hypo with the combination. You should go to a more hyper state, if there is a bit of a conflict. Different Gender can make a big difference as other body hormones will affect the Armour’s absorbtion.
One of the other responses mentioned Levothyroxine, which is quite different than Armour. I would think that the interactions would be different. In my case it seems as though the Cannabis is causing better absorbtion. I have no way of verifying my reactions to the combination as we just don’t have enough research to point us in a useful direction, nor can you get a lab to test you for both….they wouldn’t have any guidelines.
I was on sythroid for many years. I had a total TT and been on NDT and cytomel. My digestion is better and appetite. But still have a lot of issue with bloating . I also have OA, DDD , gastropareis. I take CBD oil and an indica flower high THC at night. I am doing better since started on Natural thyroid meds. My TSH is finally stabilize. I also take digstive supplement and other herbs therapy.
CBD and Levothyroxine: What Happens When You Mix Them Together?
Levothyroxine is a popular thyroid medicine that serves as a substitute for a hormone that the thyroid gland should naturally produce to regulate the metabolism, growth, and development of the body. When the thyroid is unable to do this on its own, this disorder is called Hypothyroidism
CBD oil is an alternative treatment for hypothyroidism. Like most other diseases, inflammation is also a significant contributor to hypothyroidism, and CBD is famous for its anti-inflammatory properties.
Levothyroxine and Hypothyroidism Treatment
Levothyroxine may be the most commonly known treatment for hypothyroidism, which means an under-active thyroid gland. The primary job of the thyroid gland is to secrete thyroid hormone which helps to regulate the body’s metabolism and growth. Once the gland has become incapable of producing this hormone, levothyroxine acts as a substitute for the missing thyroid hormone.
Levothyroxine comes in either an oral or injectable form, and it is strictly on prescription. The oral form could either be a tablet or capsule. Oral levothyroxine tablets may need to be taken with other medications as they are primarily for part of combination therapy. Levothyroxine also helps in the treatment of goiter and certain types of thyroid cancer.
CBD and Hypothyroidism Treatment
A study evaluated the clinical significance of CB1 and CB2 expression in the human body and found out they are highly concentrated, especially in the thyroid gland. These receptors showed the potential for serving as a blocker to the spread of malignant cells present in the thyroid gland.
Another study has found that CBD may be effective in easing chronic inflammatory and neuropathic pain. These receptors in rat thyroids seemed to be capable of influencing the T3 and T4 hormone release. The study was conducted on rats and, as such, hasn’t been verified in humans.
There is a significant need for more studies on how CBD oil helps with the thyroid in humans. However, the research conducted so far has shown a lot of promise on CBD’s effect on hormonal activities. CBD may also help treat the symptoms associated with thyroid conditions, such as pain, weight gain, fatigue, depression, and anxiety.
Interaction Between Levothyroxine and CBD oil
Knowing that both levothyroxine and CBD oil serve the same purpose, which is treating hypothyroidism, you may wonder if it’s appropriate to use both forms of medication simultaneously. This is where you need to consider potential CBD-drug interactions. CBD oil and levothyroxine compete for metabolism, and they both require the same pathway to metabolize, which is the cytochrome P450.
A study in 2017 discovered that if a patient takes both levothyroxine and CBD oil simultaneously, this may result in a case where more thyroxine becomes compiled before the body metabolizes it due to the aforementioned interaction. When this happens, it results in another disease called Hyperthyroidism. Other risks involved with the interaction of levothyroxine and CBD oil involve anxiety and mild nausea.
However, if a patient spaces out the time frame between the use of Levothyroxine and CBD oil, there may be minimal or no effect at all, as found in a couple of patients. Nonetheless, you will need to consult your doctor to establish the right routine for both compounds.
Choosing Between Levothyroxine and CBD oil
Now you know that using both levothyroxine and CBD oil is not entirely risk-free, except when it is well-spaced — and even at that, you may need a doctor’s supervision.
So, before you go on with deciding on whether or not you should include CBD in your supplementation plan, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of both substances.
Like every other medication, both levothyroxine and CBD oils have their advantages and disadvantages. We will be looking at some of these, starting with levothyroxine.
Pros of Using Levothyroxine
- Safe for all ages and pregnant women: Levothyroxine is certified safe for adults and children, even as young as one to five years. It is also safe for pregnant women, unlike some drugs that are not advisable for women to use during pregnancy.
- Easy to use: Using levothyroxine is relatively easy compared to some other drugs, as you only have to take it once a day. Also, it’s not necessary to use it in the morning alone; if you have busy morning schedules, you can choose to use your levothyroxine at night.
- Affordability: For a substance that is quite beneficial in treating a crucial disorder, levothyroxine is somewhat cheap and affordable.
Cons of Using Levothyroxine
- Interaction with food and other medications: It is best to use levothyroxine on an empty stomach as other drugs or even food may interact with it and, as a result, hinder it from being effective. Patients should use levothyroxine an hour before eating or using other medications.
- It takes a long time to figure out the correct dose and see the result: The right dose for levothyroxine varies from one person to another. As a result, it might take weeks or even months to find the correct dose because you can’t figure out if the medication is working for 6-8 weeks, which is the time frame to see the full effect of levothyroxine. Sometimes, you may require a routine blood test to ensure you are using the correct dose.
- You have no liberty of missing doses: If you forget to use your medication a few times, you will start feeling all the symptoms associated with hypothyroidism again. These symptoms include fatigue, constipation, dry skin, and weight gain.
Pros of Using CBD oil
- CBD is a versatile therapeutic compound: It modulates the endocannabinoid system (ECS), resulting in the regulation of hormonal activity. Therefore, it has the potential to help with thyroid disorders and associated symptoms.
- Easy to get: CBD oil is legal in most places in the world. You can buy CBD without a prescription from a doctor.
- It is non-addictive: A study proved that CBD is not habit-forming, unlike the whole cannabis itself. This makes CBD safe for daily consumption.
Cons of using CBD oil
- Not enough practical evidence: There are limited studies on the effect of CBD oil when it comes to treating thyroid disorders in humans.
- Interaction with other drugs: CBD tends to often interact with other medications, thereby bringing a counter-productive result. This theory was deduced in a 2017 research. Hence, it is essential to consult with a doctor who has vast experience in cannabis use before you embark on starting a CBD product.
- Most CBD products are unregulated: Most CBD products sold randomly online are not regulated, and as such, it may be difficult to find out if the product contains what the label claims.
How to Choose the Right CBD for Hyperthyroidism and Other Thyroid Diseases?
Cannabinoids aren’t the only beneficial compounds in cannabis. Other phytonutrients include terpenes, flavonoids, amino acids, essential oils, and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). If you want to enjoy the benefits of all these nutrients, then you should opt for full-spectrum CBD.
However, if you don’t want to ingest even trace amounts of THC, you can go with the broad-spectrum CBD. This option has a similar phytochemical profile to the full-spectrum CBD — except for THC.
Isolates are the purest form of CBD because they don’t contain other compounds from hemp. They’re flavorless and odorless and contain the highest amount of CBD per serving. However, unlike the two above formats, CBD isolate doesn’t leverage the whole-plant synergy, making it the least desired type of cannabidiol.
Once you’ve decided on the type of CBD you want to go for, there are still a few details to keep in mind. These include:
- Buying only from reputable manufacturers. CBD brands are sprouting every month, and it may be hard to figure out which ones produce high-quality products; hence, it is necessary to do your research before making a purchase.
- Request a Certificate of Analysis (CoA) of the product you want to buy. Companies that fail to provide these documents aren’t worth your trust because they might have something to hide about the quality of their products.
- Consult a doctor experienced in using CBD or cannabis with their patients. Doing so will help you avoid negative interactions with thyroid medications and figure out the right dosage for your situation.
- When purchasing from an online store, be sure to check user reviews, as this will give you insight into how good the product is. Also, if you are making a physical purchase, find out if the store is legally authorized to sell CBD products.
How to Use Levothyroxine?
Here are some useful tips for taking Levothyroxine if you have a thyroid disorder:
- For maximum effect, you should take levothyroxine on an empty stomach. Doing this will make the absorption process go on smoothly without interference of any form.
- Please pay attention to your diet while on levothyroxine because some particular food may work against it in the body. These foods include soybean flour, walnuts, and cottonseed meal.
- Conduct blood tests to figure out if you are on the correct dose because anything short of that will cause levothyroxine to be ineffective in your body.
How to Use CBD Oil?
CBD can be taken in many different forms. If you’re new to CBD, you may want to consider oral forms, such as gummies or capsules. They offer a fixed dose of CBD per serving and provide longer-lasting effects despite a delayed onset.
For a faster effect, you can go for tinctures and drops. This format works by placing a dose of CBD under the tongue with a dropper; after 60 seconds, you swallow the oil. You will start seeing the effect in 15–30 minutes, and the results should last for about 4–6 hours.
Vaping offers the fastest and most effective way to deliver CBD to your system because it uses the lung tissue for absorption. The effects are almost instantaneous — kicking in after 5 minutes — but they last shorter than other forms. On the other hand, vapes come with the highest bioavailability of CBD.
The time it takes for CBD oil to work on your system depends on how you consume CBD. Some need anywhere from a few minutes while others a couple of hours.
Over the years, Levothyroxine has been a reliable treatment option for hypothyroidism and will continue to be. However, CBD oil is showing the potential of being worthy competition for levothyroxine, and if there is more research on how effective CBD oil can be in treating hypothyroidism and other thyroid disorders such as chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis, it will become even more popular among patients with hypothyroidism.
While both substances may effectively treat hypothyroidism, you shouldn’t take them simultaneously. If you do this, it may lead to another dysfunction like hyperthyroidism. However, if you space out the usage, the risk of both drugs interacting and becoming counterproductive can be reduced to a bare minimum.
Regardless of your choice, make sure to consult a doctor before starting your CBD treatment. A qualified health professional will be in the best position to help you figure out the right dosage and establish a safe routine to avoid interactions with medications.
- Eleftheria, L., Constantinos, G., Maria, T., Paraskevi, A., Ioanna, D., Ioanna, G., George, K., Efstratios, P., & Stamatios, T. Clinical significance of cannabinoid receptors CB1 and CB2 expression in human malignant and benign thyroid lesions. 2015. (1)
- Wei, X., Tanxing, C., Kejung, C., Fei, Y., Shao-Rui, C., Dan, W., Yun, G., Hui-Lin, P., Ke, R., Yan, X., & Li, Zhang. Cannabinoids suppress inflammatory and neuropathic pain by targeting g3 glycine receptors. 2012.
- Researching marijuana for therapeutic purposes: The potential promise of Cannabidiol (CBD). 2015.
- Kimberly, L., & Susan, L. CBD for Thyroid health. 2021.
- Echo. Can CBD help with thyroid disorders? 2017.
Nina created CFAH.org following the birth of her second child. She was a science and math teacher for 6 years prior to becoming a parent — teaching in schools in White Plains, New York and later in Paterson, New Jersey.
Can You Take CBD Oil With Levothyroxine?
Drug interaction is defined as the changes in a drug’s effects due to recent or concurrent use of another drug or drugs (drug-drug interactions), ingestion of food (drug-nutrient interactions), or ingestion of dietary supplements (dietary supplement-drug interactions).
Drug-drug interactions result when two or more drugs react with each other. Such drugs can be from a combination of prescription drugs and/or over-the-counter (OTC) medications. Drugs with a narrow therapeutic range (little difference between therapeutic and lethal dose) are more likely to face incidents of serious drug interactions.
What is levothyroxine?
Levothyroxine is a prescription medicine used to treat an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism). The thyroid gland makes thyroid hormones that help to control energy levels and growth. Levothyroxine is taken to replace the missing thyroid hormone thyroxine.
Levothyroxine belongs to a class of drugs called hormones. A class of drugs is a group of medications that work in a similar way. These drugs are often used to treat similar conditions. About 40-60% of orally administered levothyroxine is absorbed; the majority from the jejunum and upper ileum of the gastrointestinal tract. Absorption is increased when levothyroxine is taken on an empty stomach. Levothyroxine works by providing the thyroid hormone that your thyroid gland would produce if it were working normally.
About 1 to 2 weeks after you start treatment with levothyroxine, you will likely notice that your levels of fatigue have improved. It is important that you take your medication exactly as prescribed and not miss any doses as well as maintain routine checkups with your primary health care provider.
What is CBD oil?
Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is a product that’s derived from cannabis. It’s a type of cannabinoid, which are the chemicals naturally found in marijuana plants. Even though it comes from marijuana plants, CBD doesn’t create a “high” effect or any form of intoxication — that’s caused by another cannabinoid, known as THC. This quality makes CBD an appealing option for those who are looking for relief from pain and other symptoms without the mind-altering effects of cannabis or other side effects related to some pharmaceutical drugs.
CBD oil is made by extracting CBD from the cannabis plant and then diluting it with a carrier oil like coconut oil or hemp seed oil. CBD can be found in a variety of products online and in stores, including dietary supplements, bath soaks, drinks, and food.
It continues to gain momentum in the health and wellness world, with some scientific studies finding that it may ease symptoms of several conditions. A high-quality CBD oil may address a variety of thyroid dysfunctions. This underperformance includes hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, goiter, thyroiditis, and thyroid storm. All of the above conditions are triggered by chronic inflammation of the thyroid gland due to the body’s autoaggressive actions on this organ.
We know that endogenous cannabinoids (the ones produced by our bodies) help regulate our appetite, energy, homeostasis, and influence endocrine glands, including the pituitary gland and thyroid gland. Research does not yet know how external cannabinoids (like CBD oil) affect these glands and your serum thyroid hormones concentrations like TSH and T4.
A 2015 study found significant concentrations of CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors in the thyroid glands. These receptors were associated with the shrinkage of thyroid tumors, showing promise as potential blockers of the spread of malignant cells on the gland.
Can you take CBD oil with levothyroxine?
No, you should never take CBD oil with levothyroxine together, because taking CBD oil with other medications that have similar effects like levothyroxine may increase the risk of unwanted symptoms or toxicity.
In addition, taking CBD oil while on levothyroxine treatment can lead to hyperthyroidism, a condition where your thyroid makes and releases high levels of thyroid hormone. This condition can speed up your metabolism. Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include a rapid heartbeat, weight loss, increased appetite, and anxiety.
Researchers are working to determine the specific interactions between CBD and various medications. Studies have been done on animals for certain medications, but in many cases, scientists are still determining how those results translate to humans.