Does your pup (or cat) have a fear of storms or lightning? CBD can help them stay calm and prevent them from being scared during a thunderstorm. Learn how you can help your pet with the natural effects of CBD. Summer means increased thunderstorms in many places. While some humans enjoy the beauty of the afternoon storm, it is a nightmare for pet owners. Here we explain why your pet is scared of thunder, how to tell if they are anxious during the storm, and tips on calming pets. Causes of Storm Phobia in Dogs and Cats Several Does CBD Oil Help Dogs With Thunderstorms? Does CBD Oil Help Dogs With Anxiety During Thunderstorms? There are few things more terrifying to a dog than a thunderstorm. There are also few
CBD Oil For Dogs Thunderstorms
It’s the middle of a thunderstorm, and your dog is in full panic mode.
You try to help them relax by rewarding calming behavior and giving them a ‘safe’ place to hide. But that will only get you so far.
Once your dog is stimulated and full of adrenalin, it can be hard to stop them from chewing, scratching, or damaging your home. And it can be even harder to watch them deal with their anxiety alone.
With the right tools, you don’t have to.
We’ve put together a quick guide that’ll show you how you can calm fear of storms with CBD.
What Is Storm Anxiety in Dogs?
Just like humans, dogs can experience a range of fear, anxiety, and phobias. In fact, as many as 40% of all dogs suffer from some form of separation anxiety.
But separation isn’t the only trigger for anxiety.
Dogs are often more in tuned to the environment than their owners. Because of this, sudden changes to their environment can trigger their anxiety. These changes can include things like a new addition to the family (like a new baby or new pet), new places, visual stimuli (like umbrellas), new surfaces (like grass or tile), and loud noises.
Storms can encompass many of those changes at the same time. This can lead to server anxiety in some dogs.
Symptoms of Storm Anxiety
But there’s a difference between a dog being startled by a thunderclap and a dog experiencing storm anxiety. If you don’t know what to look for, it can be hard to tell which kind of dog you have.
We’ve come up with a quick list to help you figure out if your dog is suffering from anxiety during loud storms.
Some of the symptoms of dog anxiety include the following:
- Loss of appetite
- Licking the lips (nervously)
- Having accidents inside the house (even though their house trained)
If you notice your dog displaying any of these behaviors during a storm, they might be suffering from anxiety.
Your dog might also try to hide if they get anxious during a storm. But it depends on the dog. Some might also become more clingy to you if they’re afraid.
How to Give Your Dog CBD
Though CBD functions in a similar way in dogs as it does in humans, dogs are more sensitive to CBD. That means you have to give them smaller doses than you would take yourself.
We’ve put together a few tips that’ll help you give CBD to your dog safely.
So let’s take a closer look at the dose size and the treatment methods below.
The exact dose size for your dog will depend on what type of CBD you give them. It’s a good idea to stick to CBD products design for pets.
Spend some time reading the instructions before giving anything to your dog. They’ll tell you how many mg to give your dog per pound of body weight. We recommend 1-2mg per 10 pounds of weight, so larger dogs will end up needing more CBD that smaller dogs.
We made up a complete serving size guide for CBD oil so you can find the right amount of CBD to give to your pet.
There are two main ways to give your dog CBD: you can use CBD oil or CBD infused dog treats.
The CBD dog treats are an easy and enjoyable way to give your dog a dose of CBD. Just give them the treat 30 minutes before their meal or before a thunderstorm hits.
CBD oil can be a little harder.
You can administer a few drops of CBD oil (follow the instructions for the recommended dose) directly into their mouth. But some dogs can be a little mouthy and mixing it in with a bit of food may be easier on both you and your dog. Note that it may take an extra 15- 30 minutes for the CBD to take effect if they ingest it rather than take it sublingually.
Anxiety is natural in dogs, and so is a fear of storms. But that doesn’t mean you have to sit back and watch them struggle on their own.
We have several CBD products specifically designed for dogs you can choose from.
How CBD Can Help with Thunderstorms That Scare Your Pet
Summer means increased thunderstorms in many places. While some humans enjoy the beauty of the afternoon storm, it is a nightmare for pet owners.
Here we explain why your pet is scared of thunder, how to tell if they are anxious during the storm, and tips on calming pets.
Causes of Storm Phobia in Dogs and Cats
Several factors work together to cause thunderstorm phobia in dogs and cats. These include:
- Thunder – Pets don’t understand what thunder is and that it cannot harm them. The loud unexpected BOOM startles them and makes them feel afraid. Multiple reports have surfaced of puppies and older dogs suffering heart attacks during events associated with loud noises, such as fireworks displays and thunderstorms.
- Changing barometric pressure – The rapid change of air pressure in the atmosphere caused by the storm makes dogs uncomfortable and may even trigger a stroke. Your dog is sensitive to barometric pressure because of its keen sense of smell. Changes in pressure cause odors to move differently in the air. The dog notices this and becomes scared because they associate that sensation with the trauma of thunderstorms.
- Startling bright flashes of lightning – Sudden lightning startles pets. Dogs and cats show signs of stress even when there is a lightning storm without the thunder. They associate the streaks of lightning with the unpleasant thunder experience.
- Storms bring static electricity – Your dog may be sensitive to static electricity in the air. Rubbing a balloon creates static electricity that causes your hair to stand on end. Dogs and cats experience the same sensation all over their bodies before, during, and after a storm.
- Pets hear low-frequency thunder – Ever felt like your dog or cat can predict a coming storm? Fear behaviors outlined below may show up even before the storm clouds form. This is because our pets have remarkable hearing. They hear the approaching storm long before you do.
Signs Your Pet is Afraid of Thunder
Every dog and cat are different and has its way of expressing fear. Know what to look for so you know how to help your pet.
Common signs of fear to look for in your pet’s behavior during foul weather include:
- Ears pinned back
- Tail down or pulled between legs
- Barking or whining
- Shaking and pacing during thunderstorms
- Hiding or remaining near the pet owner
- Fecal incontinence
- Destructive behavior, such as destroying furniture or hurling itself against a glass window
- Easily scared by not-so-loud noises
- Body posture is low to the ground
If you think this kind of fear is nothing and will go away after the storm is over, it is a huge psychological problem for your dog or cat.
So how do you calm your pet during a thunderstorm?
How to Soothe Your Pet’s Fear
Your dog’s or cat’s fear is real and warranted, and they require support and help from you as their most trusted companion.
Some ways to soothe your pet during a thunderstorm include:
- Creating a haven your pet can retreat to
- Keeping their environment calm by closing the blinds or curtains and playing soft music
- Keeping guests away from your panicked pet
- Swaddling or wrapping your pet can help keep them calm according to research
- Using extra support tools like pet CBD
How CBD May Help Your Pet Cope
All-natural supplements, such as cannabidiol (CBD), may help ease the fear of thunderstorms. Pet CBD has a calming effect without the harmful side effects associated with anti-anxiety drugs.
Here are other ways CBD helps:
- Support nausea and digestive disorders – Pets, especially the younger ones, can suffer from nausea as a reaction to fireworks and thunderstorms. This is because the events are very uncomfortable for them and may also interfere with their diets.
- Plan ahead – Preparing ahead with cat CBD is the best means to counter your pet’s fear. Administering the product during the event can be difficult, plus the effects may not kick in immediately.
- Counter thunder phobia with regular use – CBD oil may help improve behavioral changes in pets by dampening fear’s effect on them. Offering CBD hemp oil for dogs and CBD for cats within an hour of the storm may help calm them down.
- Desensitize and award calm behavior with CBD chews – Desensitizing some phobias is possible with the right tools. CBD edibites are an excellent way to encourage relaxed behavior. Use them to train your dog to face the situation calmly.
- Improve sleep quality – One of the most important properties of CBD is its ability to help pets maintain a normal and relaxed disposition. It can keep your cat calm and even asleep throughout the entire duration.
Lose the Stress and Help Your Pet Overcome Fear of Thunderstorms
Storm phobia causes are different for different pets. For some, it is the thunder, while others are sensitive to the barometric pressure changes. You can soothe your pets with techniques like calming formulas of dog CBD or cat CBD when you observe the signs. Remember to always consult with your veterinarian before using any supplements.
Does CBD Oil Help Dogs With Thunderstorms?
Does CBD Oil Help Dogs With Anxiety During Thunderstorms?
There are few things more terrifying to a dog than a thunderstorm. There are also few things more frustrating to a loving owner than trying to make their terrified pup feel calm.
In the last few years, many dog owners have stumbled upon CBD or Hemp oil as a natural way to calm a nervous pup. I recently blogged about my personal story of how CBD played a part in remedying my dog’s separation anxiety and fear of fireworks.
CBD oil is a safe, all-natural home remedy to a number of canine health issues. It does things like relieve joint pain and stop seizures, and it also plays a big role in easing anxiety in dogs. Here’s what you need to know.
What is CBD Oil?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a type of cannabinoid found in cannabis. There are over 100 different cannabinoids, and CBD is the big player when it comes to healing and well-being. It’s found in both marijuana and hemp, and once it’s extracted, it’s turned into the substance called CBD oil.
The reason why CBD oil is so beneficial for the body has to do with the endocannabinoid system. All mammals—people and dogs included—have endocannabinoid systems comprised of interconnected cannabinoid receptors These receptors are in charge of relaying important information about what’s going on in the body to trigger the appropriate immune response. It’s the body’s command center for health and healing.
RELATED: Which brand of CBD Oil Does iHeartDogs Recommend as Safe and Effective?
CBD oil comes into play because, as a cannabinoid, it can bond with these receptors to allow better communication. It tells the system what kind of immune response is needed, and it’s a completely natural way for the body to bring itself back into balance.
But Isn’t Cannabis Bad For Dogs?
There’s no denying the fact that marijuana is bad for dogs. Pets should never be exposed to the marijuana plant or its smoke. One of the main reasons why marijuana is harmful to dogs is because it contains the psychoactive cannabinoid called THC. THC has certain similarities with CBD, but there are two big differences.
The first is that unlike THC, CBD can’t make you high. As an isolated cannabinoid, CBD doesn’t have any of the psychoactive properties of THC. The second difference is that while CBD oil is found in both marijuana and hemp, THC is only found in marijuana. Hemp is the safer, non-psychoactive type of cannabis, and CBD oil from hemp is virtually THC-free. It’s legal in all 50 states, and CBD oil derived from hemp is a safe and effective way to treat both dogs and the people who love them.
Why Are Dogs Afraid of Thunderstorms?
Not every dog is afraid of thunderstorms, but for those that are, it’s seriously scary. Many dogs have noise sensitivities, and storms aren’t the only triggers. Fireworks, loud music, construction sounds, and anything else above a normal volume can put them on edge.
Dogs develop fear responses for a number of reasons. It might have to do with a past experience that was especially traumatizing, or it could be because the dog wasn’t exposed to loud sounds during their developmental puppy stages. Dr. Rachel Casey recently led a study on how domestic dogs react to noises. She said in Animal Wellness Magazine,
“Our results suggest that the characteristics of dogs, their early environment, and exposure to specific noises are involved in the development of fear responses to noises.
RELATED: What CBD Oil Does iHeartDogs Recommend as Safe and Effective?
Does CBD Oil Help Dogs With Thunderstorms?
CBD oil’s effectiveness in relieving anxiety is one of the main reasons why it has recently become popular. You don’t need to worry about side effects from prescription medications, and CBD oil is reliably fast-acting.
At its root, a dog’s fear response to noise is all about anxiety. Loud noises make them feel emotionally distressed, wary, and like they have no control over what’s happening. The brain releases a cocktail of stress hormones that are more powerful than all your comforting words and soothing pets could ever be.
CBD oil works by interacting with the endocannabinoid system to tell the body something isn’t right. The chemical imbalance that is anxiety needs to be put right, and CBD oil makes sure it happens. Many dog owners have found that after administering CBD oil, their anxious dogs become noticeably calmer. The fear that clouds their minds is lifted, and they’re better able to cope with their emotions. CBD oil works fast, and you should see results the first time you try it. Dosage will depend on the specific product you use and whether you’ve chosen a tincture or an edible treat. Start with a low dosage and only increase if you don’t see results. If you accidentally give your dog more than anticipated, there’s a very low chance of it having adverse effects.
Cananine™ Organic Hemp Oil from iHeartDogs is an organic, non-GMO, and all-natural product that brings the benefits of CBD oil to your dog. It contains no THC, and because it’s derived solely from hemp, it’s legal in every state. There are no heavy metals, bacteria, or mold, and patented Nano-Sized Microemulsion guarantees high absorbability, so your dog can take advantage of every drop. It’s safe, all-natural, and most importantly, it works.
Choose The Right Relief For Your Pup
100% Money Back Guarantee
PLUS Up To 40% Off When You Shop Today